Animals have rights, just like us, and they should be respected. And no animal deserves to be treated with cruelty. This sounds very basic, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, there are certain people who enjoy mistreating animals, or don’t realize they’re doing it. Some of them even get away with it.
But those who don’t, may have ended up before Judge Michael Cicconetti of Painesville, Ohio. This retired judge used to punish animal abusers in creative and unusual ways, to give them a taste of their own medicine.
By the way, the judge never ordered illegal or dangerous punishments. But he did want to teach something to those who are cruel to animals, so that they would stop being such jerks.
Judge Cicconetti used to give very creative sentences where the punishment matched the crime
He made a woman, who abandoned 35 kittens in the woods, to spend a night in the woods alone
Another woman, who had her dog living around garbage, had to spend the day at the dump
Here you can hear the judge speaking to the defendants:
But what were his sentences? In one case, a woman abandoned 35 kittens in the woods. So the judge knew that woman needed to understand what she had done wrong. “How would you like to be left in the woods, listening to coyotes and raccoons all around you in the dark? Not knowing how you’re gonna get your next meal, not knowing if you’re gonna be rescued?” So he sentenced her to spend a night alone in the woods.
Another woman, who had her dog living among garbage: “I want you to go to the municipal dump, and I want the employees to find you the most stinking and terrible place they have, and tomorrow you are going to sit there for 8 hours, so that you can think about what you did to that dog while you enjoy the smell. And if you throw up, that’s your problem.”
They certainly look like biblical punishments.
Here’s a video with more details about the judge
Judge Cicconetti began handing down these sentences when he realized that prison only made the guilty repeat their crimes. According to the judge, he always makes sure that the sentence is consistent with the crime. He has loved animals ever since he had his first dog.
Here are some of the more unusual sentences he has given:
-A man guilty of child abuse was sent to a school dressed as a dog to give a talk on child safety.
-Other offenders were forced to clear the snow from a retirement home during heavy blizzards.
-A man with a loaded gun without permission was sent to the morgue to view the bodies.
-A young man who stole a bicycle had to spend 10 days riding one to help a local NGO.
-A man who shot a dog was sentenced to donate 40 pounds of food to an animal shelter on each holiday.
– Two teenagers who carved 666 in the figure of Jesus from a nativity scene, had to carry a donkey through the streets, with a sign that embarrassed them.
– Teenagers who flattened tires on school buses were forced to prepare a picnic for the children of a primary school, whose trip had to be cancelled because of their prank.
– A man who violated traffic rules while yelling “pigs” at the police was forced to stand in the middle of an intersection with a 300-pound pig and a sign that said “This is not a police officer.
– An 18-year-old boy who stole pornography from an adult bookstore had to sit in front of the store blindfolded and with a sign embarrassing him.
– Three men seeking the services of a prostitute had to wear chicken suits and carry an embarrassing sign.
– A man who stole a $250 collector’s teapot from the Salvation Army was sentenced to spend 24 hours living in destitution.
– A woman who escaped from a taxi without paying had to walk 30 miles in 48 hours. This was the distance she had traveled in the taxi before she escaped.